Chickpea Artichoke Salad
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2½ cups of water
- 1 tablespoon Kirkland Signature Olive Oil
- 1 cup petite lentils
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- A few slices of white or yellow onion
- 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, then diced
- 3 tablespoons Kirkland Signature Balsamic Vinegar
- Optional: ½ chicken broth cube
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups marinated in oil Kirkland Signature artichoke hearts. Cut them into smaller bite size pieces and if there are any remaining artichoke hairs, be sure to remove them.
- ¼ cup chopped sundried tomates in olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup zucchini, quartered and then sliced into ¼" slices
- 4 teaspoons Kirkland Signature extra virgin olive oil
- Kirkland Signature Sea Salt
- Kirkland Signature Tellicherry Pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 6-8 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1-2 cups cup cooked petite lentils
- ½ teaspoon white or red wine vinegar
- Bring 2½ cups of water to a boil (optionally add the ½ chicken broth cube)
- Add the lentils, garlic clove, bay leaf and onion slices to the pot and cook the lentils until done but still firm.
- Drain the water from the lentils, remove the garlic, bay leaf and onion, and set aside.
- In a large fry pan over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the green onions and bell pepper and saute until the pepper just begins to soften.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the lentils. Thoroughly mix everything together and then fry, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add in the balsamic vinegar. Stir to evenly mix and set the pan aside.
- In another pan over medium heat, warm 2 teaspoons of the olive oil.
- Once hot, add the onion, zucchini and bell pepper and fry until the onion and zucchini begin to lightly brown.
- Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- In a very large bowl add the drained chickpeas, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, olives, parsley, green onion and wine vinegar. Mix thoroughly.
- And the fried vegetables and lentils into the bowl, the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and thoroughly mix everything together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, or preferably overnight, before serving.
- Optionally garnish with some arugula, or for some added heat, my husband likes adding some pickled banana peppers.
Recipe by Costco Diva at http://www.costcodiva.com/chickpea-artichoke-salad/