Spicy Italian Sausage and Squash Soup
Author: Costco Diva
Recipe type: Main
- Remove the sausage from the casing into chunks. (This isn't required but is recommended.)
- In a heavy enameled french oven (or large pot) over medium heat brown the sausage in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until cooked.
- With a slotted spoon remove the sausage and drain it on a paper towel and set aside.
- In the drippings plus another tablespoon of olive oil, fry the onion and garlic until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the squash and chili flakes. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the 3 cups of broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer until the squash is soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Once the squash is done, add the soup in batches to your blender. Blend until smooth and add to a bowl temporarily until all is blended.
- Add the soup back to the french oven and add the bell pepper, cream, sage and sugar. Simmer until the bell pepper is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the brandy and sausage and simmer until the sausage is warmed again.
- Add in the spinach and simmer until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe by Costco Diva at http://www.costcodiva.com/spicy-italian-sausage-and-squash-soup/