- Pre-heat oven to 450F
- Sprinkle flour on the counter top and then roll the puff pastry out to a thickness of ¼ inch (6mm)
- Using a very large glass or a small bowl, trace and cut out a circular puff pastry piece.
- With a knife trace an inner circle edge (about ¼ to ½ inch from the outside edge) that cuts in approximately half way through the puff pastry.
- Wipe a baking pan with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with water, then place the puff pastry on the pan.
- Inside the inner circle of the puff pastry place your pie weights. (see picture below)
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the edge of the pastry starts to grow large enough (double in size at least) so that an egg cracked in the middle of it will not spill out.
- Remove the pastry from the oven, take off the beads (they will be hot!) crack an egg and place inside the inner circle and place back in the oven.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown in color and the egg white has set. (for a sunny side up egg)
- Garnish with lettuce and tomatoes and optionally salt and pepper the egg.
- Alternative: If you need to make a large batch, prepare as many nests as you have weights for and remove them once done. Then prepare your sunny side up eggs in a pan and serve on the fresh pastry.
Recipe by Costco Diva at http://www.costcodiva.com/egg-in-a-nest/